Sunday, April 15, 2012

5 Things – Shoebox Activity


With the spring and summer months approaching, it won’t be too long before tornado, flood, and hurricane warnings plaster our worldwide newspapers and televisions.  Living in the Midwest, I have always been somewhat concerned with the risk of a natural disaster damaging my home and surrounding community.  Although the chance of a disaster such as a hurricane directly hitting Northwest Indiana is slim-to-none compared with the risk for those living in the South-Southeastern United States, I often ask myself,
“What would I do if a disaster was to strike my community?  Where would my family vacate to?  What would I take with me?  What would I leave behind?”
Given the scenario, ask yourself what you might take with you knowing that whatever is left behind may be permanently damaged; if were asked to only take 5 items with you that could be stored in a standard-sized shoebox, what would you take? 
  •  What items did you choose to take with you? 
  • Why did you choose these items?
  • What items did you choose to leave behind?   
  • How were you able to choose what to take and what to leave behind?
  For many individuals, items that represent positive memories are the first to be chosen, such as photos, home videos, and knickknacks.  The idea of gathering a few of your most beloved items and vacating to a new destination was an experience also felt by individuals emigrating to new countries, hundreds of years ago.  Think about what items may have been taken with these people and what items were left behind.  How do you think they made the choice of what to leave behind?


No comments:

Post a Comment